Monday, July 21

I think it's definitely worth recording for posterity one of the most unintentionally hilarious moments of my captaincy career to date. On Saturday we arrived at Rochdalians and took in the scene. A couple of players form both sides were in attendance, our boys lookign at the wicket. A couple of car loads of Asian lads arrived, we didn't recognise any of them, but that's nothing unusual in a league where an influx of new players seems to happen constantly.

After a few moments, one of the lads approached and enquired as to who was the captain. I duly identified myself and we went to toss up. Having lost the toss (surprise! that made 7 out of 7) I turned round and announced to the lads that we were batting ... only for most of them to convulse with laughter.

It transpired that the lads we'd seen arrive were from another team who'd got the grounds mixed up and weren't even from the same league! They thought I was the Rochdalians skipper! Absolutely marvellous.

And then of course when we went to toss up for real, I was advised my Kieran to lose the toss as we hadn't a clue what to do if we won it ... and predictably I called correctly!! Sorry lads.

It's also worth noting on a less funny note that I spilled a catch to deny Nick what would have been a marvellous hat-trick. Sorry, sir.